Review: Amika Polished Perfection Straightening Brush
Y’all – this brush is a total GAME CHANGER.
I’ve seen a few heated straightening brushes on the market, but I was never really intrigued. My initial reaction was, “ehh, gimmick – no thanks.” That is until a coworker came into the office one day, and was like, “Kim, you N E E D to try this – it’s amazing.” She didn’t have to say much more to pique my interest; I looked up the Amika Polished Perfection Straightening Brush on Sephora’s website, and found an overwhelming amount of stellar reviews. What I also found was a somewhat pricey sticker – the brush will set you back $120. The cost didn’t turn me off completely – I know quality hair tools tend to be on the pricier end – and let’s be honest, I’ve paid more for crappier products. For me, the brush wasn’t a priority, so I kind of just left it in my cart and walked away.
Fast forward a couple months, and the ever-so-popular Sephora VIB Rouge Sale comes along. You bet your little tush I clicked on that “Add to Cart” button. The discount was a plus for sure; however, my best friend really sealed the deal when she mentioned she purchased the brush and was so impressed with how her hair felt and looked after use!
So after that long narrative – I BOUGHT THE DAMN BRUSH* – and I’m so glad I did.
Before I get into how I use the brush, I want to share a bit more on the brush specs:
- Double Negative Ion Technology – the maximum in negative ions resulting in shiny, smooth, frizz-free results with zero static. True.
- Ceramic Bristles with Nylon Cool-Tips – emit far-infrared heat that instantly penetrates the cortex of the hair cuticle, heating from the inside out. The hair is heated evenly and in half the time of conventional heat, reducing the risk of damage. Mixed with a good heat protectant, I haven’t seen the damage in my hair increase.
- LCD Digital Interface – precise setting and monitoring of temperature up to 450ºF, the most important element for getting consistent and effective results. The auto-shutoff feature means no power will be wasted when not in use. For me, being able to adjust the temperature was SO important. Not all hair is created equal, people! Some folks can handle the high heat, whereas my hair can only handle the lower temps – 450ºF would cause my hair to burn off!
- Temperature Lock – for uniform temperature control.
- Ready And Able – an easy grip, 9 foot 360° swivel cord made of heat-proof, up to 450ºF, fabric and a professional hook makes use and storage simple.
A little about my hair: medium length, fine, thin, frizzy, and wavy. I wash my hair every 3-4 days and rely heavily on dry shampoo. I can’t be bothered with a fussy routine – the less time I spend on my hair, the better.
To use, I set my Amika Polished Perfection Straightening Brush to 370 degrees and divide my hair into two sections – top and bottom – and then smaller sections for even distribution of heat. Even though it’s a “brush,” I comb out each section with a wide tooth comb to ensure there are no snags. From there – I just go for it! I smooth over each section of hair slowly from root to end. Once I’m done with the top half of my hair, I flip my head over and brush through – I feel like this is the last opportunity to add more volume!
I’m able to smooth out my hair within 5-7 minutes, and the end result is A M A Z I N G. I have been so impressed with this brush – I can achieve the look of a blow out without the extra time and effort. But the BEST part is that my day three hair is just as smooth and voluminous as day one – I swear.
Ya see! I rarely used my flat iron because it left my hair exactly that – flat and lacked movement. Volume and movement is what we should go for, people! And I feel like the Amika really helps me achieve that.
Another thing to note is that the first time I used the brush, I was somewhat underwhelmed. I think the hype mixed with high expectations mixed with the first time ever using the brush – the result was nice, but not as amazing. It did take me a couple more times to really get on board. As you’ve read, I’m got on that damn train, honey!
If you’ve been eyeing the Amika Polished Perfection Straightening Brush, just add to cart – you won’t regret it.